Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Osaze admits: I need a break

Nigerian and West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie is going to consult with Albion’s medical team to establish a summer fitness programme after admitting he needed a break.
The Nigeria international is not due to pack away the boots that have fired 15 goals in the Baggies’ best Premier League campaign until the second week in June, because of a promise to play in a testimonial for a former Albion forward, Nwankwo Kanu.

Odemwingie said: “I have international duty to prepare for as soon as the Premier League season is over. We’ve got a prestige friendly against Argentina and then a qualifying game against Ethiopia. That is on June 5. After that I have to play in Kanu’s game in Lagos on June 11. It’s not a serious game but Roy Hodgson wants us back by July 4. I need to get to the beach because it’s been a couple of years since I’ve had the chance to do that. I need a nice break but I need to see the medical people here to see how best to go through the summer, or what there will be of it.”

The Albion favourite is determined to keep up his level  of fitness which he reveals has improved as his season has gone on, after initial injury problems coping with the demands of the Premier League.

He said: “It’s a difficult league to play in. Very physical, very fast. You don’t have much time on the ball at all, the teams press a lot but I think I have been lucky, playing the type of football which suits me. When I arrived I spoke with the gaffer at the time, Roberto Di Matteo, about how I would play and it became clear to me the system was similar to the one I played in with Lille. I said ‘yes.’

“I’ve felt good physically, my endurance levels have definitely been raised. That’s why I feel physically good. More energy will give me extra chances to score. I now feel strong enough to cope with the intensity of football in this division.”

Odemwingie, a £2million signing from Russian club Lokomotiv Moscow, will also hope to agree an improved contract with Albion in recognition to his major contribution to the campaign.

And the 29-year-old does not foresee problems, saying that all the signals from the Hawthorns hierarchy are “positive.”

No comments:

Post a Comment