Friday, May 20, 2011

Taiwo completes AC Milan switch


Nigeria defender Taye Taiwo has finalised his switch to Italian champions AC Milan, completing a three-year deal on a free transfer.
The left-back successfully underwent a medical at the club on Wednesday and sealed the move from French club Olympique Marseille on Thursday.
The 26-year-old told the BBC he is delighted with the transfer.
"I thank God for this move, joining another big team like AC Milan is a dream come true," he said.
"I am leaving a big club for another one, one I was only able to dream of playing for as a kid.
"I will surely miss the city and Olympique Marseille, the fans, players, management and French football in general.
"It is emotional and sad to leave a place I have come to call home but I'm taking a piece of Marseille with me."
The Super Eagle regards the move as a new chapter in his life and says he is excited about the challenges ahead.
"I hope to bring my best to a team that's parading great players already," he added.
"The three-year deal is signed now and all I can do is give my all to a dream club and win trophies to complete the union.
"I am a happy man and my immediate target is to be a winner here."
Taiwo becomes the fourth African player on Milan's books - joining Ghana's Kevin-Prince Boateng, Sierra Leone's Rodney Strasser and fellow Nigerian Nnamdi Oduamadi.
The defender played a pivotal role in Marseille's first league title in 18 years last term and scored the only goal in last month's League Cup final victory.
He joined Marseille, his first European club, in 2005, going on to make more than 200 appearances for them, while also gaining Uefa Champions League experience.
Milan will contest next season's Champions League after wrapping up their first Serie A title in seven years.

No comments:

Post a Comment