Tuesday, May 17, 2011

SuperSport United want Arokoyo

Outgoing Premier Soccer League champions, SuperSport United, have expressed interest in the services of Nigerian junior international, Gbenga Arokoyo.


SuperSport.com has learnt that the South African club was impressed with the performance of the young defender during the just concluded Africa Youth Championship, in South Africa. Arokoyo, who played all Nigeria’s matches during the AYC and was brilliant in the heart of the defence, confirmed the development, "SuperSport United have made a serious bid for me and they want me in South Africa for medical.”
Arokoyo is the second Nigerian defender after former Enyimba captain, Ajibade Omolade, to be linked to Matsatsantsa as Gavin Hunt continues to re-build his side ahead of next season.
However, SuperSport.com understands that the South African side will face stiff competition from French and Belgian clubs in their quest to secure the Kwara United defender, who is on loan from the Ilorin based Kwara Football Academy.
“We’re still monitoring the situation considering all the options available. I know some clubs in France and Belgium want me to join them. I’m also looking forward to the Fifa Under-20 World Cup in Columbia so as to maximize on opportunities available,” he said.
Arokoyo revealed that Nigeria’s victory at the AYC and his first international goal at the 4-nation invitational tournament in South Korea was a big boost to his fledgling football career.
“I joined the national Under-20 team this year after returning from trials with Azerbaijani Premier League side, Gabala FC, which is coached by former England and Arsenal legend, Tony Adams. I thank God that I was able to convince the coaches of my abilities and did my best for the team. The team had a good competition in South Africa."
“I’ve always wanted to score a goal for Nigeria and that chance came in Korea. The goal made me the happiest person that day,” he added.

No comments:

Post a Comment